Crediton Dairy in Devon, England, is a major supplier of milk products to grocery stores across the UK. The milk processing plant employs about 160 workers in both factory and office roles. When IT Manager Benjamin Evans and his team realized it was time to upgrade their existing CCTV system, they looked to Meraki, whose access points they had already been using.
- The team had a dated CCTV system that was only deployed in a couple of areas around the facility.
- The processing plant spans a large area and contains several tall structures, like silos, making it difficult to survey multiple areas at once.
- A constant stream of lorries (or delivery trucks) driving through the facility introduces potential safety hazards for workers.
- An initial deployment of 16 MV71 cameras helps cover a majority of external areas.
- Benji and the team relied heavily on the Meraki mobile app when physically installing cameras.
“Literally plug it in, and it’s up and running.”
- The Operations team, as well as the Health & Safety team, utilize the camera feeds to monitor potential hazards throughout the site, such as high traffic areas.
- The team already encountered and resolved one incident involving a lorry driving into a barrier with the help of their MV deployment. They were able to prove the cause of the accident and assign liability accordingly.
- Benji and his team have saved both time and money due to the “plug-and-play” nature of the cameras, and the lack of extraneous hardware, like a UPS.
- The architecture of the cameras allows the team to monitor video feeds locally without impacting the company’s bandwidth usage.
- The team is exploring the possibility of expanding their deployment into the factory to help monitor processes and ensure employee safety, both inside and outside the facility.