At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so that our customers can focus on what's most important to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking technology that simply works for customers across the globe. Our innovative hardware solutions are led and supervised through our cloud web applications.
Our networking hardware is very popular, with nearly 10 million devices deployed globally. This popularity leads to exciting engineering challenges. Our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests every day. We're looking for engineers to join us in solving the challenge of growing and evolving our existing services and our organization for the next level of scale and reliability.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (typically, at least 7 years of experience) to join the Network Access team, which is responsible for distributed systems that support sophisticated authentication and network policy enforcement. You’ll help build features and tackle scalability and reliability challenges in these core parts of Meraki’s cloud offerings.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Design, develop, scale, and maintain the backend services and infrastructure that form gateways to internet access for millions of devices around the globe.
- Design systems and services that implement access policies for users and devices on distributed networks.
- Help us refactor our monolith and re-envision our services as we move towards independent, containerized services.
- Collaborate with other globally-distributed teams of UX specialists, firmware engineers, SREs, and product managers.
- Make an immediate and significant difference to the hundreds of millions of users who rely on our access points, switches, security appliances, cameras and sensors every single day.
HERE ARE SOME PROJECTS THAT THE NETWORK ACCESS TEAM IS WORKING ON:
- Refactoring frameworks/libraries and creating an internal API with a simple, unified interface for other developers to work with access policies.
- Scaling up our backend services to handle 10x the load they can today. You could help us rethink the way we do sharding and load-balancing and make our infrastructure elastic.
- Ensuring data consistency across our full stack -- 1) Meraki devices, 2) backend data services and 3) Meraki Dashboard - to enable a global customer base. Think of it as a large distributed storage system.
- Introducing extensive code quality metrics and standards as well as defining SLIs/SLOs for our services.
- You like thinking about whole systems — from trade-offs in design to edge cases and failure scenarios.
- Experience in some form of backend software development at scale: distributed systems, databases, platform engineering, data processing or similar.
- Have a focused, organized approach to design, implementation, testing, and quality.
- Know your way around at least one of the languages we use: Scala, Ruby, C/C++, Go. You adopt the idea of being language-agnostic.
- Experience with SQL and any RDBMS.
- Excellent communication skills (our team is distributed across several time zones).
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Curiosity about general security and/or data privacy and/or zero-trust networks is a plus.
- You’re excited about solving scalability challenges both on the organisational and technology levels.
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source.
- Mentorship or leadership experience.
LIFE AT CISCO MERAKI
At Meraki, we focus on building real products that delight our customers. We believe in fostering a positive culture by hiring, mentor, and empowering thoughtful, effective, humble people and providing opportunities for all employees to thrive. With the support of management, we constantly look within for ways to improve organizationally. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a large company without sacrificing the atmosphere of a smaller one.
AS A CISCO MERAKI EMPLOYEE YOU CAN EXPECT:
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions and helps you grow; regular career conversations.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups and mentorship programs. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Relevant and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Paid time off to volunteer (5 days a year), and much more.
- A great in-office experience: delicious catered meals every day and fully-stocked kitchens and all you can eat snacks.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.