Privacy Goes Global, Meraki-Style
According to Mary Meeker’s 2018 Internet Trends report, over half of the world’s population is now online, making digital services an essential part of billions of people’s lives. Along with the myriad ways that these services have enhanced our lives, legitimate concerns have arisen over the amount of personal data collected and stored by companies with which we choose to transact.
While the vast majority of this data collection is benign, done by companies so that they can provide consenting users with useful tools and services at little to no cost, everyone deserves to know what information about them is being collected, how it’s being stored and safeguarded, and for what purpose it’s being used.
In light of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) recently passed in the European Union, Meraki introduced a series of tools and updates to the Meraki dashboard that give administrators and users greater visibility and control over the data we collect and use to provide Meraki products.
Today, we’re pleased to announce that these tools and updates have been rolled out worldwide to all Meraki customers.
What does this mean for our customers and their network users? There are six main privacy-focused features we’ve introduced that we encourage you to check out:
- Data access and portability: Meraki customers can utilize new features in the dashboard to export personal data.
- The “right to be forgotten”: Customers can delete personal data stored in the dashboard, both for their own organization and in response to requests from users of their networks.
- Restriction of data processing: In the Meraki dashboard, personal data can be identified, hidden, and removed upon a verified request from a network user to restrict processing.
- Tracking privacy-related requests: The dashboard event log now includes functionality for tracking and verifying the status of privacy requests described above.
- Consent tools: Enhanced splash page functionality allows Meraki customers to provide notice to, and obtain any necessary consents from, users of their networks for the collection, processing, and storage of personal data.
- Data hosting visibility: When creating a new account, Meraki customers have the option to select the region where their data will be stored. For verification, the dashboard now displays the hosting region on every page.
We believe deeply in the importance of data privacy and want all of our customers to be as informed as possible about these product updates. To that end, we’ve set up a webpage detailing the solutions and tools we offer and containing additional information regarding our philosophy to privacy.
For administrators, we also have a new Data Privacy page on our documentation site that explains how administrators can configure privacy settings within the dashboard. Additionally, take a look at our Postman documentation and the API Documentation available directly in the dashboard (Help > API Documentation) for more details about our APIs.
As always, please feel free to visit the Meraki Community to chat about all things Meraki, privacy-related or otherwise.